Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Introducing Children's Literature

 The main goals of children's literature are inform, persuade, entertain, or describe things to the younger population. However, children's literature is great to read at all ages! Faculty from the University of South Florida believe that children's literature is often defined as, "a collection of books written for children, read by children, and/or written about children." These books are designed to keep children entertained and intrigued throughout the entirety of the story. Some might say that children's books are pointless stories based off of a specific reading level, but others might say that about some adult books as well! 


Older girl is reading to younger girl!
Two children reading a book together. 
Over the course of this blog, my beliefs and opinions on children's literature, book genres, and diversity within story topics will be discussed. Most of my opinions have been formed overtime by reading hundreds of books to the children I nanny (ages 1-7) and the educational courses that I have taken over time at the University of Tennessee. Although I am not an avid reader as an adult, I have found such a love for children's literature and the impact it has on young children. Watching a child's language development and reading skills blossom overtime is an extremely sweet thing. Reading skills will develop differently for each child, so being able to provide the attention and resources that are needed for the individual learner is important. I hope that I can provide resources and materials that allow growth. In this blog, I would also like to provide ways to encourage the younger population to continue reading as they age. I truly believe that if I had been encouraged by my parents and educators as a child, I would enjoy reading as an adult so much more. There are so many types of stories that I want to discuss throughout this blog. Overtime, I hope that you can find the best books to add to your at home and/or classroom libraries! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Educational Blogging

 Educational Blogging  is a great form of communication for teachers, students, and community members. In an educational blog teachers can p...